Bang Bang Chicken Recipe
Oh. My. Gosh. A few weeks ago, I was
diligently working scouring Pinterest when I saw May pin this recipe. I immediately repinned it to my “Things To Eat” board and kept it in the back of my mind for future reference. When I was making my shopping list last week, I looked up the recipe from Damn Delicious and added the ingredients to my list. I’m so glad I did!
This was the best and crispiest chicken recipe I’ve ever tried. It was also insanely simple and QUICK! I’ve fried up Panko crusted chicken before, but it was never ever this crunchy. I guess it’s the combo of ingredients. Or magic. I don’t know. All I know is that Husband and I were freaking out at how good it was and will be making this recipe a staple.
I only made one change to Damn Delicious‘s perfect recipe, and that’s simply because I had the wrong ingredient. Instead of sweet chili sauce in the dipping sauce, I had chili garlic sauce. I still used it, and just added a little bit more honey to it to make it sweeter. That’s all. Everything else I followed to the letter, and it was great. Here’s her recipe verbatim below, but be sure to read it on her site too, where she shares even more about it!
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil, or more, as needed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup Panko
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons Frank’s Hot Sauce
- To make the sauce, whisk together mayonnaise, sweet chili sauce, honey and Frank’s Hot Sauce in a small bowl; set aside.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together buttermilk, flour, cornstarch, egg, hot sauce, salt and pepper, to taste.
- Working one at a time, dip chicken into buttermilk mixture, then dredge in Panko, pressing to coat.
- Working in batches, add chicken to the skillet and cook until evenly golden and crispy, about 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Serve immediately, drizzled with sweet chili sauce.
We like dipping things better than drizzling them, so Husband and I put the sauce in a little bowl and nibbled the grown up chicken nuggets alongside grown up fries (rosemary and olive oil roasted potato wedges). It was a pretty wonderful meal. It was also way too much food so we saved it for the next day and reheated for a half hour in the oven, which made it even crunchier than the day before. I can’t wait to make this recipe again for friends and family! It would be a wonderful party snack, too!
If you try this recipe out, let me know! I’d love to hear your thoughts!
4 thoughts on “Bang Bang Chicken Recipe”
Yumm, this looks delicious!! I pinned it in hopes of actually making it instead of just drooling at the screen, but I have yet to do so! They look great Katie, you did a good job! Maybe this weekend…my dinner routine definitely needs some changing!
I am drooling at the screen too! :))
I seriously AM drooling right now. It looks so good. I think I remember seeing this on Pinterest too. Glad you shared it here to confirm that it’s an amazing recipe that I NEED to try!
I am sure that these wouldn’t last ten seconds in my house! We surely wouldn’t have leftovers! #cuticlepengiveaway
Comments are closed.