One of my favorite things about the Summer is grilling pretty much everything! After a long day yesterday, Husband and I decided to take the chicken and veggies we were going to make for dinner and stick them on skewers for the grill instead!
You can use any kind of protein for this recipe, but we used chicken. Whether it’s chicken, beef, pork or fish, just make sure you grill the kabob for as long as you’d normally cook that sized portion of meat to doneness.
Recipe: Grilled Chicken Kabobs
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
- 2 boneless chicken breasts, trimmed and cubed
- 3 peppers (red, yellow and green will make it colorful!)
- 1/2 of a large red onion
- 1 small container (about 10 ounces) of cherry tomatoes
- McCormick Montreal Chicken Seasoning
- salt, ground black pepper to taste
- equal parts honey, soy sauce and extra virgin olive oil*
- 10-12 skewers
*You’ll need at minimum 1/3 cup of each (less honey if you don’t like it sweet). I doubled this to have extra to brush on during grilling.
Because these skewers were a last minute meal, I did not have time to marinate the chicken. If you are planning ahead, you absolutely should marinate it! Even if it’s only for a few hours in the fridge before you cook, it will make a difference!
- To make the marinade: In a small bowl, combine honey, soy sauce and olive oil. Whisk together until smooth. Add some freshly ground black pepper to taste and stir in. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add cubed chicken, salt and pepper to taste, and Montreal Chicken Seasoning. Mix until chicken is seasoned. Add HALF the bowl of marinade and stir to coat. Keep both the chicken and reserved marinade bowls covered in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Chop onion and peppers into large chunks that would be easily skewered. Set aside.
- Spray or brush grill with oil before turning it on. Then preheat grill to medium heat.
- If your skewers are wooden: Soak skewers for a few minutes to prevent them from catching fire on the grill.
- Start skewering! Add veggies and chicken in whatever order you see fit. Be sure to keep some room at the edges of each skewer for handling.
- Place skewers on grill and brush some of the reserved marinade on. Cook about 15-20 minutes or until chicken is done, turning with tongs a few times. Brush on reserved marinade often.
- Let cool for a few minutes and enjoy your kabobs right off the skewer! Pair with some Mexican-style grilled corn on the cob!
- Cover a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and use to carry the uncooked skewers outside. Once they are on the grill, throw away the foil, rinse cookie sheet and replace with fresh clean foil to bring cooked kabobs back inside. This way, you won’t be scrubbing the sticky honey mixture off of the cookie sheet!
- If you used metal skewers, be careful when handling them straight off the grill!!
- We used the ingredients we had on hand, but if you want to use extra veggies- go for it! Want to add garlic cloves to roast? Do it up! Kabobs are perfect for adding all your favorites to one place.
What is your favorite thing to grill in the Summer?