Recipe: Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Chicken
A few weeks ago after I made the Bang-Bang Chicken, I decided I wanted to try another recipe from Pinterest. I settled on something I could make in the crock pot, since those are by far my favorite meals. I found a recipe for slow cooker pulled BBQ chicken and made a bunch of adjustments to it, until it was pretty damn perfect. I will definitely be making this again soon- it was the easiest thing I’ve ever made in the crock pot and it was SO good!!
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 cups Sweet Baby Ray’s Hickory Brown Sugar BBQ sauce
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1/2 packet of Good Seasonings Italian Dressing Mix (dry)
- salt and pepper to taste
Are you ready for the instructions on how to make this amazing chicken? I don’t think you are. They are so, so, so easy, you’ll be kicking yourself for not making this for the last million years. Okay, here we go…
- In a bowl, add olive oil, balsamic vinegar, water and Italian dressing mix. Mix well.
- Add BBQ sauce, honey, brown sugar and Worcestershire to same bowl. Mix well.
- Throw chicken breasts (whole- no need to cut them into strips or anything) in bottom of crock pot.
- Salt and pepper, then add entire contents of BBQ mixture.
- Cover crock pot and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours.
- When it’s done, use two forks to shred the chicken apart. It will fall apart quite easily so it’s not a difficult step.
That’s it! Serve on potato rolls, with baked beans and coleslaw on the side. Put the chicken in to soft tortilla shells and add cheddar cheese and sour cream for chicken tacos. Or do both (we did!) The chicken will last for days because there is so much of it and there are tons of ways to make a meal of it. It’s definitely going to be my go-to recipe for picnics, for when guests are coming over or for whenever we need to bring a pot luck meal somewhere! YUM!
- Make it an even easier recipe by using pre-made Italian dressing! I just really like homemade dressing better and think it made a difference. Still, you can totally get away with eliminating this step and using bottled dressing!
- As with most things made in the crock pot, this chicken is even better the day after it’s made! The sauce has a chance to set up and it’s just… perfect!
If you make this recipe, tell me in the comments what sides you had it with! I’d love to hear different pairings than what I tried!